Cambridge English: Starters is aimed at children in primary and lower secondary education and is designed to help them build their confidence when they are just starting to learn English.
Cambridge English: Starters is the first of the Cambridge English: Young Learners tests. Children can improve their English step by step, by moving from Starters to Movers and to Flyers.
Cambridge English: Starters is designed to motivate children and give them lots of confidence to use their English. The test:
- is based on familiar topics and situations
- develops the skills they need to communicate in English.
As children develop in confidence, they will be motivated to learn more English and use it at a more challenging level.
What level is Cambridge English: Starters?
The Cambridge English: Starters test is just below Level A1 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). It gives children a good foundation for language learning and shows you how they are doing in English.
The test covers all four language skills – listening, speaking, and reading and writing.
Cambridge English: Starters is the first step towards learning practical, real-life English language skills that will help children:
- use the internet and other media in English
- enjoy books, songs, television and films in English
- make friends globally
- use English as the common international language
- get ready for future study and work success.
With Cambridge English: Starters, there is no pass or fail. Every child gets a Cambridge English award, celebrating their achievement, building their confidence and rewarding them for developing their communication skills.
The award shows how many shields a child has received. If they get 10 or 11 shields and above, they should be ready to start preparing for Cambridge English: Movers, the second test in the Cambridge English: Young Learners range.
Respected internationally, Cambridge English: Starters:
- provides the most reliable reflection of a child’s language skills
- covers all major varieties of English (e.g. British English, American English)
- is designed to be fair to users of all nationalities and linguistic backgrounds
- is supported by the largest research programme of its kind
- can be taken by children with a wide range of special requirements.