CELTA is one of the most widely taken qualifications of its kind. It is highly respected and gives you the skills you need to teach English anywhere in the world.
This popular teaching qualification gives you the opportunity to live and work abroad and pursue a highly rewarding teaching career.
You can also use CELTA as part of your training to work in the lifelong learning sector in England and Wales
CELTA was previously known as CTEFLA and the ‘RSA certificate’.
New teachers – CELTA gives you the training you need to become an English language teacher. It is ideal if you are looking for a new career opportunity or wanting a short break in your existing career.
Existing teachers – if you are already working as a teacher but have not had much formal training, you can use CELTA to:
- sharpen your teaching practice
- prove your ability
- get a promotion or a better teaching position.
What you will learn
Your course will teach you:
- the principles of effective teaching
- a range of practical skills for teaching English to adult learners
- valuable hands-on teaching experience.
You have a lot of flexibility with CELTA. You can choose to take your course:
- full-time – usually 4–5 weeks
- part-time – from a few months to over the course of a year
- online – combining online self-study with hands-on teaching practice.
To find out more about the online course, visit Cambridge CELTA Course Online
Where to take your CELTA course
CELTA courses are designed by individual centres, based on specifications produced by Cambridge English Language Assessment.
You can take your CELTA course at one of over 300 approved centres in more than 60 countries. There are almost 900 CELTA courses running every year.
Find your nearest Teaching Qualifications centre here
Because CELTA is awarded by Cambridge English Language Assessment, part of the University of Cambridge, it is:
- internationally recognised
- highly respected
- a benchmark for quality.
Who accepts CELTA?
This popular teaching qualification is:
- accepted by organisations which employ English language teachers throughout the world
- widely used as a benchmark of basic teaching skills and quality by:
- English language schools
- the voluntary sector
- non-governmental organisations (NGOs)
- other educational institutions.
- accredited by Ofqual (Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation) at Level 5 on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF) for England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
We also work with international English Language Teaching (ELT) organisations to ensure the acceptance of CELTA globally.
All CELTA courses come with a 1-year Membership of Cambridge English Teacher at no extra cost. This continuous professional development website supports your training and career through short courses, webinars with experts, knowledge articles and videos, and a global network of thousands of teachers. The Jobs Board can also help you find work as an English teaching professional.
For more information, visit www.CambridgeEnglishTeacher.org