This popular memory game is a fun and effective way to remember vocabulary. It works best with a small group – adults can join in! To include more vocabulary, the game can be adapted, for example I went shopping and I bought ... or I went to an island and I brought back ...
- Players sit in a circle and decide who goes first.
- The first player says the intro line and adds an item, for example: ‘I packed my school bag and I took … a cheese sandwich'.
- Player 2 repeats and adds another item: ‘I packed my school bag and I took … a cheese sandwich and a blue pencil case’.
- Keep going around the circle, each player repeating and adding items to the list (no writing allowed!) until someone makes a mistake or forgets a word.
- You could ask older children to write the list of words when you finish the game.